Marma therapy, or massage, is a technique that comes from Ayurvedic medicine, the traditional medicine of India, which is still practised today. Marma in Sanskrit means secret. This word refers to the points of union that exist in the organism and link the five organic principles: ligaments, vessels, muscles, bones, and joints.
Ayurveda describes the Marmas as the points where there is the greatest concentration of the organizing intelligence of the body. 107 are identified, including the 7 Maha Marmas called Chakras.
The disorder of these points causes an increase in the humour and the blockade of Nadis. This can result in pain, loss of limb, loss of blood, shortness of breath, collapse, and even death.
The specific Marmas massage treats particular problems more quickly and effectively. Knowledge about Marmas and the use of herbs and medicated oils make Ayurvedic massage a profound technique to balance the subtle energy of mind and body. Each Marma must be pressured with the appropriate direction and design to achieve maximum effect.
Marma therapy is based on the stimulation and care of the Marmas, connecting the nucleus between the channels through which our energy flows. They are very tender points in which the veins, ligaments, bones, muscles, and joints are united. Then, these points produce the communication between our body’s anatomy, physiology, energy, and nervous system.
The Marmas corresponds to 107 vital points that are located in our body.
These Vital Points Are Distributed As Follows:
- 22 points on lower limbs.
- 22 points on upper limbs.
- 12 in the chest and abdomen.
- 14 in the back.
- 37 in the neck and head area.
Seven of them are master points on the back, torso, stomach, neck, head, face, and limbs (arms and legs).
Benefits Of Marma Therapy
With this technique, we can alleviate discomfort or health disorders. Also, we can help improve the functioning of our body, favouring our physical appearance. However, with the Marmaterapia, we can get other great benefits like:
- Balance the 7 body tissues: plasma, blood, muscles, fat, bones, marrow and semen.
- Stimulate the immune system, strengthening our defences.
- A rejuvenating effect.
- To favour the digestive processes.
- Lubricate the joints.
- Reduce physical and mental fatigue.
- Reduce fat.
- Disperse congestion.
- Relieve stress and emotional depression.
- Balancing emotional disorders.
- Work nerve disorders.
How Is A Marma Therapy Treatment?
Marma therapy is a treatment executed through special massages, with specific oils for each case and each patient. Also, this depends on their biological mood and the results that they want to obtain.
These are vigorous, full-body massages through kneading, puncturing, and friction techniques. So, the Massages can be performed with the therapist’s hands and feet placed in specific positions.
So, in stimulating the marma points, each point must be treated by exerting relentless pressure in a specific direction and with the appropriate force and technique to be effective.
Also, the oils used are usually warm, organic, and chosen based on their different properties. Some of the most used are mustard, sesame, coconut, or almond oils.
By absorbing our skin oils, its active ingredients affect our body, forming an essential part of therapy, balancing the body’s energy system, and avoiding energy blockages.
Primary Objectives Of Marma Therapy
- Unblock the energy channels blocked by stress.
- Return the normal function to the Vata dosha.
- Create physical, mental, and emotional flexibility. Humans, after 30, 35, and 40 years, become rigid by accumulated toxins (ama) and Vata (air element); this also happens with animals and plants. So, Vata increases in the body through the years, so one experiences degeneration. Then, this rigidity translates to the fixation of ideas, emotions, and movements in the body.
- Bring the opportunity to experience a powerful and dynamic transformation in the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Physical, mental, and spiritual integration is vital to our evolution.
The Marma therapy is applied with a series of unique massages and natural oils that adapt to the problems of each patient. As a result, it has many positive effects.
Also, this massage can stimulate the immune system, improving the body’s natural defences, helping the respiratory system, etc.
So, now you know what to do the next time you feel down or have a lot of stress. Also, we recommend going to an Ayurvedic retreat, where in addition to learning everything about this ancient medicine, you can renew yourself physically and mentally.
Ayurveda is a natural cure for almost every disease and problem. You can treat even a little issue from hair to foot with the help of Ayurvedic herbs or treatments. Arogyadham is an Ayurvedic treatment center in India where we treat many health and other problems using Ayurvedic medicines. You can also ask our doctors about any query regarding your health issue or anything. We will always be there to help you out. So do not hesitate to contact us anytime.
Finally, if you liked this post, please share it on your social networks, and if you have any questions, please leave us a comment in the comment section below!